Learn how to research your Jewish family history going back to your ancestral towns
Eight-week course begins February 18, 2015, at Hebrew College
“Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress”
“My uncle was born in Austria, married in Poland, and
died in Russia—without ever leaving town!”
The Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston will be offering its award-winning, intensive introductory course on Jewish Genealogy for the 7th year starting Wednesday, February 18, 2015. The course is designed to provide serious adult students with the skills and knowledge to research their Jewish family origins. It is taught at Hebrew College in Newton by experts from the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston.
The course includes relevant world history and geography, research methodology and strategies, and guidance in using world-wide resources and online sites.
- Methodology: Basic Principles, Strategies and Skills
- Technical Tools and Online Resources for Genealogy
- History of Jewish Migration, the Diaspora, and Changing National Borders
- Identifying Your Immigrant Ancestors: Methods and Resources for Researching Family Members in the U.S.
- Using Social Networking Tools
- Finding Your Ancestors in European Records and Learning about Their Lives
- Using the FamilySearch Library (LDS Mormon Archive)
- Identifying Holocaust Victims and Survivors
- Finding Family Members Living in Israel
- Using your Research and Publishing Your Findings
There will be individual help sessions for all students and a hands-on introduction to genealogy programs and internet research for beginners. Students must have basic computer skills.
Eight Wednesday evenings: February 18 – April 22, 2015, except Purim (March 4) and Passover (April 8) 7 – 9 PM, $250 tuition payable to Hebrew College. Limited to 24 students.
Website: The course website will carry lecture materials (audio recordings, PowerPoint slides and class handouts) for those who miss a class and as a resource for all students.
Registration: Click here to register.
Questions: For more information, contact course @ jgsgb.org or 866-611-5698 and leave a message with your contact information.
The course is co-sponsored by the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston and Hebrew College. It received the Outstanding Program Award from the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies at the International Conference on Jewish Genealogy in 2009.