1. Transcribe for our Cemetery project:
Goal: Transcribe and post the gravestone locations from Mass cemeteries on JOWBR (The JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry) on Jewishgen.org.
Tasks: Transcribe the gravestone information and location to an excel spreadsheet to accompany photographs.
Skills Needed: Knowledge of excel and ability to input from a picture to the prepared spreadsheet is helpful. (Knowledge of Hebrew names and dates is not necessary.)
Notes: This can be done at your own home as time permits. This is an ongoing project. We welcome people to sign up for a single cemetery at a time.
Contact: Pam Weitzel at weitzel @ jgsgb.org for more information.
2. Transcribe Yahrzeit Plaques
Goal: Post Mass Synagogue Memorial Plaques on Jewishgen Memorial plaques database of which there are already 100,000 names worldwide posted.
- Transcribe photographed plaques from English, Hebrew or both. Instructions will be provided.
- Put names and dates of death and photo ID number on prepared excel spreadsheet.
Skills needed: * Knowledge of using excel
* Knowledge of Hebrew helpful but not needed.
Notes: Many synagogues have memorial plaques with names and dates in English and Hebrew.
Contact: Carol Clingan at clingan @ jgsgb.org for more information.